Saturday, December 31, 2011

Media Consumed: July 2011

Books Read
The Skinny on Creativity   by   Jim Randel
Primetime Propaganda   by   Ben Shapiro
+Ten Little Indians   by   Agatha Christie


+ = denotes a play

Three books in July. That was it. I definitely don't do much reading in the summer. Of course, in July I was in a musical, was preparing to be in another play (that got cancelled), and was preparing for the play I would start directing in August. I also took a trip to Wisconsin to visit one of my closest friends who was working at camp.

It has become more and more obvious that there is a strong liberal bias in Hollywood. However, though there have been a few scattered stories here and there and a few random studies and some anecdotes, there really hasn't been an in-depth study done on the subject with not only first-hand accounts, but with facts and figures.  Ben Shapiro has done that in Primetime Propaganda. I'm not sure how he got away meeting all the figures he met. However, what they reveal is what everyone outside of Hollywood and New York have known for years: there is a strong liberal bias in Hollywood and conservatism is frowned upon. I found the book fascinating.

I read Ten Little Indians because it's the play I began directing in August. I like the play better than the novel, though the novel is written a little better.

Movies Watched
Cars 2 (two times)
Transformers: Dark of the Moon
Zotz!
The Spine Tingler
Fright Night (1985)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2
Aliens Vs. Predators
Horrible Bosses
And Then There Were None
The Big Red One
Captain America
Insidious
Mr. Popper's Penguins
Cedar Rapids


Critics from both sides of the political spectrum trashed Cars 2. They all said it lacked the heart of the original Cars. The funny thing is most of those critics were the same people who trashed Cars for being too sentimental and hokey. I don't think they changed their opinion; they just want people to think they did or not remember at all. I liked Cars 2. It's a spy movie. I wish there was more of an explanation why Doc was no longer around.

I was still on my William Castle kick as one of the movies was one he directed (Zotz!) and another was a documentary about Castle (The Spine Tingler).

I found the original Fright Night entertaining. When I was younger the cover of the VHS tape always scared me so much, I kept away from it.

Many people were all gaga over the last Harry Potter movie. Personally, I think it was one the least satisfying movie out of the entire series. I'm not sure what it was. The darker tone was a huge plus, but in terms of story and cinematography, the film is lacking. Perhaps since everyone knew this was the last one that had something to do with it. Of course, I was a little disappointed by the way things ended in the book, anyway. I think Harry should have ultimately died. Instead, he lived, got the girl, and had an even better life than he had before.

Even if you don't like comic book/superhero movies, you should watch Captain America. It's one of the best movies of the year, too. The film looks gorgeous, the storytelling is superb, and it's emotionally charged (spoiler: the hero doesn't ultimately end up with the girl here). It's a movie that not only makes you feel good to be an American, but just makes you feel good.

No comments: