Saturday, July 05, 2008

What I Saw While Walking Along Lake Ontario

Last week (not this past week), I took a "vacation" for the first time in several years and visited a very close friend who lives in Rochester, NY. Due to work schedules and what not, I was left to my own ends during the day. During my first day there, I rode a bike to the beach near Port Rochester and walked along Lake Ontario.

While walking along one of the piers that stretched out into the lake, I noticed an unusual sight. There were two women who were fishing. One of the women was dressed in African clothing and had a mid-Eastern accent. She apparently knew the other woman because they were involved in a seemingly meaningful conversation. Anyway, I noticed that as the African woman pulled her fishing line out of the water there was no fish hook tied to the end. Instead there was a toe nail clipper tied to the end of the line. I had to control myself to keep from laughing until I got further down the pier.

Something else I noticed while spending the morning and early afternoon in the park was a group of homeless men sitting together at a picnic table. There were about five or six of them sitting together around a table. They arrived shortly after I got there and were still there when I left mid-afternoon. I was later informed that they are there almost every day. I'm not sure why, but the Roundtable of Homeless caused me to chuckle, too.

No comments: