Sunday, January 18, 2009

Fifteen Minutes

"In the future everybody will be world famous for fifteen minutes."—Andy Warhol, 1968.

About a month ago I was in the final stages of a selection process for a survival reality show that was going to air on the Discovery Channel. For those of you who don’t know, I’m a huge fan of the show SURVIVOR and though this show wasn’t SURVIVOR, it would have allowed me a chance to travel to an exotic locale and be paid (in my opinion) a handsome sum of money (which would have almost allowed me to repay most of my debts) for the time and experience. A week before I was to go to the final interview, I found out that the network had pulled all funding for the show. My interview was cancelled and my latest chance of possible fame evaporated in an instant. I took it in stride, though a little disappointed.

I want my fifteen minutes of fame. I know it’s selfish, but it’s true and I won’t deny it. I want to be famous. I grew up poor and am still poor and in debt. I don’t want to be poor anymore. I’m a creative person who has a lot to offer the world, but I need an opportunity to share what I can do. I want people to know my name. I want to be a celebrity. Whether we like it or not, celebrities have power, have a pedestal to speak from that even a lot of politicians don’t have, and are able to shape and mold our culture on a grand scale. I want that and not just want for myself. I know the influence I could have on others. I know that I could positively affect and influence some of the gatekeepers and creators of our culture, not to mention that I would then be in a position to create part of our culture myself on a massive scale.

I want my fifteen minutes of fame because I’m ready to Shine.

No comments: