Thursday, August 16, 2012

Something Wonderful This Way Comes


When I was rather young, I saw a special on tv entitled Something Wicked This Way Comes. It was the film version of Ray Bradbury's story and had been adapted into a television movie. It's a story about a carnival that comes to a small Midwestern town and some very strange and spooky things start happening when it does. That film scared me, particular the things that happened to those who came under the spell of Mr. Dark. Despite my fright of that particular story, I was never actually scared of carnivals. As a kid, carnivals were wonderful places filled with bright lights, good food, and exciting rides.

I still like carnivals, but more because of the excitement and joy they bring to others. When you reach a certain age, they don't let you ride kiddy rides anymore unless you're someone's parent or guardian and much of the magic and excitement of a place transformed disappears when you aren't young or don't have people in your life to share it with.

This weekend (Aug. 17th & Aug. 18th) is the Sorento Homecoming: the weekend when the carnival comes to my hometown. If you're in the area (zip code 62086), drop on by. Watch the parades, buy a raffle ticket, play some bingo, and eat a funnel cake. Just be sure you don't make any deals with anyone whose last name is Dark.

No comments: