Thursday, June 10, 2010

May 2010: Media Consumed

Books Read
*Signature Wound: Rocking TBI G.B. Trudeau
*Jeremy & Dad Jerry Scott & Jim Bergman
*Star Trek: Spock Reflections Scott & David Tipton
Tassel-Free Living for Grads Tim Wesmann
The Talisman Stephen King & Peter Straub
*50% Wool 50% Asinine Scott Hillburn

The two books that I recommend reading from the ones I read in May 2010 are The Talisman and 50% Wool 50% Asinine. The Talisman is a novel by Stephen King and Peter Straub written in the mid-1980s. I'm a pretty big fan of King and usually enjoy whatever of his I read. I was enchanted by The Talisman. I thought most of the story was great. The reason I say most of the story is because I felt that the story was great until the moment when the lead character in the story reaches the Black Hotel where the Talisman, an object he has been searching for during the whole story, is kept. Once he gets to the Black Hotel, the story unraveled. In short, the concluding chapters of the story just don't seem to fit with the rest of the story. Conclusions can be difficult, but I expect better from King. Still, even a let down of an ending can't ruin the "odyssey tale" woven before.

50% Wool 50% Asinine is the 2nd book of "The Argyle Sweater" comic strip collections. This book was hilarious. Comic strips are such a great way to get a dose of daily humor. You just have to read the right comic strips, because lets face it as much as I enjoy reading them, "Blondie", "Hi and Louis", and "Family Circus" probably aren't going to make you laugh as much as you'd like or need.

Movies Viewed for the First Time
Look
April Fool's Day (1980's version)
Iron Man 2
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (1925)
Robin Hood (2010)
Robin Hood: Men in Tights
Shrek Forever After
The Wizard of Oz (1910)
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (1933)
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
Spies Like Us

Iron Man 2
was a great movie. Robin Hood is perhaps the best Robin Hood movie ever made; it tries to tell the origins of Robin Hood and actually tie it to real history. Prince of Persia is a good action-adventure mind candy flick. Lastly, I hadn't seen Spies Like Us since I was a kid. It's a hilarious movie. Ackroyd and Chase make a great comic duo.

No comments: